A BOLD FRESH PIECE OF INANITY »

Saturday, October 28, 2006

Nixed Fruit

This is one of those good intentions turned bad turned funny quote that we’ll never forget.

On this crisp, fall day, I decided to take Olivia to her first football game. The college that I went to and work at happened to be playing a home game against Grandma Randi’s alma mater. But for us, much of our attention was focused in the stands.

To commemorate Halloween and their inner dorkiness (I type that lovingly – I was an orchadork for many years), most of the pep band members played in costume. I pointed out one seated right below the press box, confident that Olivia would find him funny. I mean, really, what’s funnier than a banana playing the drums? I turned to her to see her reaction at the same time she’d turned to me with a look of sheer terror. I asked her what was wrong. She simply said, as she’s said over a hundred times since the incident, “I no like that b’ana.”

I suppose I could reach for the cheap puns – at this time we split or that she found the scene un-ap-peel-ing – but I’ll leave such mediocrity to all the entries that have proceeded this one. So we left the game early, but that was okay. We had to meet up with Beni to attend a birthday party for the son of one of her co-workers. After grabbing the present from the car and posing for the picture above, Olivia relayed to her mom that “I no like that b’ana.”

No comments: