A BOLD FRESH PIECE OF INANITY »

Thursday, September 27, 2007

Going Batty

I’m currently in Austin for business. The original plans were to have the family join me in Texas – we’re working on our collection of visits to progressive U.S. cities – but Beni’s work schedule resisted such a diversion. I’m bummed that they’re not here, but at least I’ll be able to take them to points of interest when we eventually make the trip together. And no visit to Austin is complete without a viewing of the million or so bats that make their nightly departure from the underside of the Congress Bridge.

I was impressed by how many families turned out for the event. The spectacle is quite amazing in and of itself, but the whole viewing experience is enhanced by the looks of wonderment in the kids’ faces and the symphony of oohs and aahs coming from their mouths, all of which made the ache for my family’s company more acute.

No comments: