A BOLD FRESH PIECE OF INANITY »

Saturday, December 19, 2009

The Old Man and the Tree

My eco-minded dad, hugging the tree he planted and dedicated to my mom while working as a United Nations Volunteer
(Korat, Thailand – November 2009)


Happy birthday to my old man, who officially becomes an old man, at least by the standards of a five-year-old.

Me: "Olivia, guess what? Today is Grandpa Tsune’s birthday."

Olivia: "Really? How old is he?"

Me: "He turns 60."

Olivia: "Wow. That’s old. You’re not 60 yet – right, Daddy?"

My dad just returned from another international assignment with the United Nations Volunteers (UNV) program, which he got involved with four years ago after being excised unceremoniously from corporate life. He turned lemons into four work stints away – to Vietnam, Kazakhstan, Indonesia, and most recently, Thailand – and a gig teaching Japanese at a local university. When I talked to my dad, he told me that he’s retiring from his overseas work assignments (although he did leave open a door by mentioning Michael Jordan and his “retirements”), which got me thinking about how nice it must be for him to leave on his own terms, especially since he was disallowed such a choice before.

Well, Dad. I wish you the best in the retirement that you can call your own. (I must note you’re not really retired given your professorship and all, but you know what I mean.) I’m so glad – and certainly envious – that you’ve had the opportunities to see the world as a one-man Amazing Race team these last four years. Welcome home – see you soon.


No comments: