A BOLD FRESH PIECE OF INANITY »

Monday, November 05, 2007

Missing Accomplished

My family accompanied me to the airport tonight to bid me farewell. I was heading out on a business trip, one that would take me away from them for three days. The sendoff was going smoothly until I got up to the security gate. As I turned to my darling duo for some final hugs and kisses, Olivia became overwhelmed by emotions, namely the sadness variety. Tears of heartache were met with sobs of anguish. She clutched my neck like a professional wrestler, constantly adjusting her grip to get a better hold. I was surprised by her reaction because our previous goodbyes had been so pedestrian.

I eventually made it through security, but there’s something about a child lamenting your impending absence that keeps taut your pulled heartstrings for a long time. I carried those feelings with me from takeoff to landing, and apparently I wasn’t the only one. Beni told me that hours after they’d left the airport, Olivia randomly turned to her and said, “I’m still missing Daddy.”

No comments: