A BOLD FRESH PIECE OF INANITY »

Friday, December 05, 2008

Mother's Day

Today my mom hits one of those milestone birthdays, the kind for which Hallmark maintains a special section. Cracking on her age seems trite, so allow me to go in the direction of heartfelt appreciation.

Dear Mom,

You are one of those people who other people are glad that they know. Do you remember Vinnie Johnson? He of the Detroit Pistons, when they were the Bad Boys? As you know, they called him “the Microwave” because he provided instant offense. Well, I’d go with “the Fireplace” for you, in that your presence both brightens and warms any room you’re in. Your enthusiasm is the stuff of legend. Paul Bunyan may have had the strength of a dozen men, but it’s you who has the energy level of a dozen Paul Bunyans.

A born teacher, you have dedicated much of your life to improving the life of others through education. I know your students are grateful to have had you; I’m lucky in that I never have to leave the classroom. You have taught me so much already, but most importantly, you have taught me to pursue an ethos of kindness and love, the guiding principles by which you lead your own life. I wish you happiness always but especially so on this special day.

Love,

me

No comments: