A BOLD FRESH PIECE OF INANITY »

Thursday, September 17, 2009

Pulling a Fast One

In an gesture of solidarity and friendship, especially toward my Muslim friends Khair (aka passionbuckets) and Hassan, I thought I’d try to fast during the month of Ramadan. Being the undisciplined and hungry person that I am, I thought it would be improbable for me to go without food or drink from sunup until sundown for an entire month, and so I modified it to something more reasonable – a one-day fast. I documented my trials and tribulations on my Twitter account (cheap plug: please feel free to follow me at oliviaspapa) – here are those tweets:
Told @passionbuckets, a friend of mine who's Muslim, that I'd try fasting for one day during Ramadan. Well, today's it. Hope it goes fast.:)
4:11 AM Sep 17
Not used to eating a big meal at 4-something in the morning. BTW, I'll be tweeting updates all day unless hunger overcomes me.
4:14 AM Sep 17

Even narcoleptics find it difficult to fall asleep when there's a buffet's worth of food sitting in the stomach waiting to be digested.
10:58 AM Sep 17

The worst part of waking up was the acid reflux. Other than that, I'm off to a flying start! Only thought about food 127 times on the drive.
11:00 AM Sep 17

Breakfast at 4:17 a.m., in order: cold oatmeal, PB&J, Clif Z bar I stole from Olivia, and some fruit juice.
11:03 AM Sep 17

Had to check whether gum and/or cough drops were allowed under the official Ramadan rulebook. Ans: yes to both.
11:04 AM Sep 17

@passionbuckets My stomach is starting to eat itself.
1:46 PM Sep 17

Under four hours to go with my daylong fast. Pseudo-philosophical reflections and enormous dinner to follow.
3:27 PM Sep 17

In the absence of dates and nuts, I broke the fast with red Gatorade. I swear to their god and yours, nothing's ever tasted so good.
7:41 PM Sep 17

Now at Potbelly to get some solid food. Already I've forgotten how to eat -- I'm choking on the hot peppers in my sandwich.
7:44 PM Sep 17

Thought it was a good sign when I got here: there was a Muslim family placing their order in front of me.
7:44 PM Sep 17

A special shout out to my Muslim brothers @passionbuckets and Hassan for their collective guidance on this project.
7:48 PM Sep 17

Already thinking about my next day (week, fortnight, month, year) w/o project/experiment. Suggestions?
7:51 PM Sep 17

No comments: