A BOLD FRESH PIECE OF INANITY »

Friday, October 16, 2009

Conflict of Interest

(Note: In this case, “interest” means “of note,” not “the feeling of a person whose attention is particularly engaged by something.”)

In our capacity as college admissions counselors, Beni and I visit numerous high schools to talk up our respective institutions with students. Recently, I stopped by a Lutheran high school in my recruitment territory, one that holds a daily chapel service. I happened to be visiting during their chapel hour, and was welcomed by the guidance counselor to attend the service because he was going to introduce me to the students at its conclusion as a way to encourage those who were interested in my university to come speak with me.

Upon the counselor’s invitation, I grabbed my book bag – the one carrying my school's promotional materials and Parenting Beyond Belief: On Raising Ethical, Caring Kids Without Religion, the book I was and am still currently reading – and headed with him to the gym, site of the chapel service. Settling into the bleachers without quite settling in mentally, I endured the singing of hymnals with lyrics such as:

Watch and see lest there be faithless friends to charm thee,
Who but seek to harm thee.

Because that’s what those of us less faith try to do – harm thee with our charming agenda.

1 comment:

Brandon Christol said...

Yes, I remember learning about the Inquisition, during which all those faithless people harmed the faithful. A charming phase of history, indeed.