A BOLD FRESH PIECE OF INANITY »

Saturday, October 31, 2009

Monkey Around

Further evidence of climate primate change: the monkey suit proved irresistible for Reed’s parents – we selected it for him over the costume options of banana and pumpkin – and for his sister, as she mugged for this shot with him on our front lawn before their candy-seeking expedition around the neighborhood. The cold night kept the monkey from being out of his cage for too long, but the police officer stayed out on her beat long enough to nab a bucketful of sweets.

Of curious note: I’ve read that Halloween is also celebrated in Canada and the British Isles, but my sense is that the pageantry of our Halloween is distinctly American. And so as I accompanied Olivia and her friends around for trick-or-treating, I couldn’t help but feel coursing throughout my body a surge in national pride, akin in strength to the surge of sugar racing through our daughter’s veins after she’s consumed a third mini candy bar in as many minutes.

My country, 'tis of thee,
Sweet land of liberty,
Of thee I sing…

No comments: