A BOLD FRESH PIECE OF INANITY »

Saturday, February 11, 2012

The Choice Is Yours

I’ve had the great fortune of hearing Jonah Lehrer speak in person, as he was the keynoter at a conference I’d attended in the fall. I was familiar with his work on Radiolab, a favorite show of mine in the world of radio and podcasts, for which he’s a contributing editor. He has written two books to date: Proust Was a Neuroscientist and How We Decide. I picked up the latter during the aforementioned conference, and Lehrer was kind enough to sign my copy and make small talk with me as I gushed about how much I adore Radiolab. (I may have uttered something to the effect of “Radiolab makes my life better.”)

How We Decide tackles two questions: How does the human mind make decisions? And how do we make those decisions better? In it, Lehrer provides numerous examples and studies of our rational and emotional decision-making processes. The mixing of anecdotes and research rings of Malcolm Gladwell’s tried-and-true formula, but Lehrer distinguishes himself with his brand of elegant eloquence.

I highly recommend you select this book when you’re trying to decide what to read next.

No comments: