A BOLD FRESH PIECE OF INANITY »

Wednesday, February 01, 2012

Even Odds

50/50, a film destined for viewing as part of the 50/50 project, received a favorable rating in excess of 80% from Rotten Tomatoes. The 50/50 in this case refers to the cancer survival odds of Joseph Gordon-Levitt’s character, who find the challenges of the changing natures of his relationships to be as exhausting as his actual cancer treatments. The film is essentially a buddy film that interjects some light humor into a heavy topic.

By the end, I ended up on the thumb-down side of the coin flip. I came into this wanting to like this movie, and I was even prepared to shed a tear along the way. Perhaps that’s where it went wrong for me: I was giving it the reins of my heartstrings, but it chose instead for the occasional tickle of my funny bone.

No comments: