A BOLD FRESH PIECE OF INANITY »

Friday, April 17, 2009

Snoozesome Twosome

In a house with young children, sleep is like gold: it’s precious, shiny, and can be traded on the commodities market. (I concede that this analogy is far from perfect, but remember that a .333 career batting average will get you into the Hall of Fame.) I arrived home for lunch today to find both kids partaking in a siesta, an (in)activity guaranteed to make me – their perpetually fatigued father – jealous.

(Tangentially, are there other word pairs in which the difference in just one letter accounts for such divergent meanings, as is the case with siesta and fiesta? Comely and homely come to mind, and I supposed gold and mold could be thrown in the mix. Any others?)

2 comments:

Brandon Christol said...

This isn't quite the same thing, but I've always found raised and razed interesting. They sound exactly the same but are antonyms.

Brandon Christol said...

I don't think "wreckless" is actually a word, but how about reckless and wreckless?